On Sunday, October 9, 20111, Madison Apartment Group was a corporate sponsor of The National Kidney Foundation Walk in Philadelphia and raised more than $73,700 through the support of its residents, partners, corporate employees and community teams. The walk attracted more than 3,000 people to the Philadelphia Zoo and raised more than $500,000 for the fight against kidney disease in the Delaware Valley.
The National Kidney Foundation is a nonprofit organization dedicated to preventing kidney and urinary tract diseases, improving the health and well-being of individuals and families affected by kidney disease and increasing the availability of all organs for transplantation.
More than 70 Madison Apartment Group team members came out in support of the walk and 28 Madison communities helped to raise funds for the event by hosting numerous resident fundraising events and partnerships with local businesses.
Special thanks to Joseph Mullen, President of Madison, Shelly Innis, Regional Property Manager and Kristen Troxell, Regional Marketing Coordinator for their contribution and dedication to making this year’s walk a huge success!
Did you know?
- 26 million American adults have Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) and millions of others are at increased risk.
- Early detection can help prevent the progression of kidney disease to kidney failure.
- Heart disease is the major cause of death for all people with CKD.
- Glomerular filtration rate (GFR) is the best estimate of kidney function.
- Hypertension causes CKD and CKD causes hypertension.
- Persistent proteinuria (protein in the urine) means CKD is present.
- High risk groups include those with diabetes, hypertension and family history of kidney disease.
- African Americans, Hispanics, Pacific Islanders, Native Americans and Seniors are at increased risk.
- Three simple tests can detect CKD: blood pressure, urine albumin and serum creatinine.
For more information on The National Kidney Foundation, or how you can get involved, please click here.